Shoes Like Pottery sneakers are meticulously made by hand as a skilled craftsman attaches the upper to the outsole according to the shape of the last followed by a tape around the shoe - a process that cannot be achieved by machine. This nearly 150 year old company based in Kurume, Japan is one of 3 in existence to still utilise this laborious and and time-consuming method to produce their superior quality shoes.
The shoes are fired in a 120 °C (248 °F) kiln for 70 minutes, similar to the way Japanese pottery is fired. The extreme heat and pressure causes the sulfur mixed inside the raw rubber to chemically react, returning the rubber to its original shape. Since their rubber is both durable and flexible, the shoe has a long life and holds a beautiful shape.
- Hand sewn sneakers
- Rubber outsoles kiln-fired through the Japanese “ka-ryu” process
- Lined and reinforced heel and toe.
- Individually embossed signature blue rubber seal stamp at the sidewall
- Signature blue sole
- Handmade in Japan
- Unisex sizing. Sizing based on Men's shoes sizing
- These shoes run large, for best fit size down full to half size from usual shoe size. We recommend following the cm sizing in your other footwear when buying SLPs.